These suggestions may be helpful for your food storage program.
Take inventory of present items.
- Which foods do you want to store and how much for a years supply?
- Do set a goal to add on a monthly basis or semi annually or a year.
- Plan for regular acquisitions.
- Be consistent in your goals if you miss once, acquire it and move forward.
Learn to use these basic foods on a consistent basis in your meal preparations with your favorite recipes thereby testing them to include what is needed for your basic health. This will also rotate what you have for freshness.
A prolonged diet of these foods by themselves could result in nutritional deficiencies, like vitamins A and C. Having orange juice and otherSupplements will help. However such a diet should sustain life for at least a year.
The following list is for one year for one person.
These may read as too much but have been tested on active individuals. The best way to store these is having sealed containers that are available through specialty stores. If you purchase whole grain, (which is best) be sure to include an electric wheat grinder. I have tried the manual type once and no thank you!
Storage item Your Amount
– Wheat 132 lbs.
– Enriched white flour 12 lbs.
– Corn meal 29 lbs.
– Oats, rolled or steel cut 29 lbs.
– Rice, White enriched 59 lbs.
– Pearled barley 3 lbs.
– Spaghetti & macaroni 29 lbs.
TOTAL FOR GRAINS GROUP 294 lbs.
– Beans, (dry) 25 lbs.
– beans, lima (dry) 1 lbs.
– beans, Soy (dry) 1 lbs.
– Peas, Split (dry) 1 lbs.
– Lentils (dry) 1 lbs.
– Dry soup mix 5 lbs.
TOTAL FOR LEGUMES GROUP 34 lbs.
– Vegetable Oil 2 gal
– Shortening 4 lbs.
– Mayonnaise 2 quarts
– Salad dressing mayonnaise type 2 quarts
– Peanut butter 4 lbs.
TOTAL FOR FATS AND OILS GROUP 26. lbs.
– Milk, nonfat dry 14 lbs.
– Evaporated milk (12 oz net wt) 12 cans
TOTAL FOR MILK GOUP 16 lbs.
– Sugar, Granulated 40 lbs.
– Sugar, Brown 3 lbs.
– Molasses 1 lbs.
– Vegetable oil 3 lbs.
– Jams and preserves 3 lbs.
– Fruit drink powdered 6 lbs.
– Flavored gelatin 1 lbs.
TOTAL FOR SUGARS GROUP 60 lbs.
– Dry yeast 0.5 lbs.
– Soda 1 lbs.
– Baking powder 1 lbs.
– Vinegar 0.5 gal.
– Chlorine, bleach 1 gal.
– Salt, (iodized) 1 gal.
Add Mustard and pepper if you prefer.
WATER FOR DRINKING AND MIXING, ONE GALLON PER DAY.
My website carries 55 Gallon drums
Nick Johnston, Survival Supplies 4u